Welcome to our online office, we have over 10 years of expertise

Suite 238, 7025 Tomken Rd.,
Mississauga, Ontario L5S 1R6

PR Card Renewal

People with permanent resident status in Canada, can apply for their first Permanent Resident card (PR card) or for a renewal or replacement of a PR card.

The Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) is the official proof of your status as a permanent resident in Canada.

To be eligible for a PR Card, you must:

  • Be a permanent resident of Canada
  • Be physically present in Canada
  • Not be under an effective removal order
  • Not be a Canadian citizen or a registered Indian under the Indian Act and
  • Not be convicted of an offense related to the misuse of a PR card

For those Applicants under the age of 18 a clear and legible photocopy of one of the following is needed:

  • Applicant’s birth certificate (showing the applicant’s name, date of birth, place of birth and the names of the parents or adoptive parents)
  • OR Legal documentation proving guardianship, if the applicant has a legal guardian.

Permanent Residents seeking to re-enter Canada after time spent out of the country, must present their valid PR Card as evidence of their status. To enter Canada from outside country and not having a valid PR card to return, you will need to obtain a travel document from a Canadian visa office

It is important to know that nothing else will suffice; in particular, the old landing papers previously issued by Immigration Canada.

The PR Card is usually valid for a five year period, therefore it is important to know the expiry date on your PR Card and apply in advance of the expiry date. You must be in Canada in order to apply for your PR.

To travel outside Canada you can’t use your PR card because it’s not you’re your passport. You must still use your old passport (and any visas that you must have) to enter any foreign country including the United States. The Permanent Residency Card is not a travel document, but an identification document to state your status in Canada. You may use it to get back into the country along with your valid passport.